This Day in History

Daily Quotes

Daily Bible Verses

Thursday, July 17, 2008

No Soul or No Sole?



A few months ago I purchased a new pair of black Nunn Bush dress shoes with a gift card we had saved from our wedding. They have not been used for very long, but obviously are my main dress shoes along with one other pair of cordovan Rockports that I use as well. If you go back with me a few years ago to the time when my brother in law and sister were about to leave for the mission field of Ireland, I was given a gift certificate for $100 to Florsheim. John Brown, my friend and brother in law gave me the certificate because he had discovered only two different actual Florsheim stores that were still open around the Metroplex. At that time they were closing down all their stores. Since he and my sister were so busy preparing to leave for the field, he passed on the blessing to me that another church had given to him since he didn't want to take the time to travel the 45 minutes or hour drive to get a pair of shoes with all the additional work he had going on. I picked out a pair of nice black Florsheim's with an inner gel cushion. They were used as I worked as a staff evangelist in Texas for 2 years and also as I traveled around the world in missions for the last 6 years before coming here to NC. They were good shoes and have lasted for quite a while. Since coming to NC, I have used the shoes primarily for soul-winning since they were a little raged anyhow. But a few weeks ago while out canvassing for our God and Country Sunday with Grace, one of my shoe's sole came off as I was walking. Grace and I laughed and laughed and even took pictures to remember the occasion. The extra funny thing about it was that I had just met a middle aged black man on the street and was inviting him to church and as I went to walk away, "Bloop", there goes the sole. I immediately exclaimed that I had "no sole" as in "no soul"! LOL!


In writing this event, I am reminded of the provision from God for Israel while they traveled in the wilderness.This is found for us in the Old Testament. Deuteronomy 29:5 states, "And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot." No doubt God allows this same or similar provision for his saints today to some degree. And thankfully I have seen it on a small scale with these Florsheim dress shoes and the length of time that they had been useful for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I can just see Grace howling until her sides split. Keep on keeping on.